Advocacy on Behalf of Special Needs Children

Question: There are medically challenged children considered overstays (or abandoned) at our hospital. Our Government Affairs team works with the social work and medical staff along with the Department of Social Services to find appropriate placements that can accommodate the special needs of the children. The Government Affairs staff also researches information for legislation that will help to alleviate the placement issue. Does the time spent by staff on research (for legislation) and placement count as community benefit?

Recommendation: We recommend the advocacy on behalf of those children be reported as a community benefit if you can show you are working with government agencies and relieving the burden. It could be reported as A4 as social needs advocacy or F7 as community health advocacy. As we understand your question, you would be helping children beyond your own patients.

 (November 2023)

Please Take Note: The information provided does not constitute legal or tax advice. The material is provided for informational/educational purposes only. Please consult with counsel regarding your organization's particular circumstances.