The Catholic health ministry serves our communities by healing the sick, serving the poor and vulnerable and leading by example. Inspired by our faith and values, the Catholic health ministry has formed a partnership with sponsors, systems, facilities and with experts in environmental responsibility to reduce the environmental burden of the health care we provide.
We are committed:
As health professionals, to "first, do no harm."
- As Catholic ministries, to care for the sick and vulnerable, the unborn and all of creation.
- As neighbors, to act in the best interest of our communities.
On April 22, the world celebrates Earth Day. To help those who serve in Catholic health ministry make meaning of the connection between the environment, our health and our ministry's commitment to faithfully heal the earth, CHA offers resources for your use.
2017 Earth Day Resources:
2016 Earth Day Resources:
- Video: That All May Flourish – A Meditation for Earth Day. This video (3:08) includes vivid photos and a moving meditative text that will walk viewers through a reflection on our call to be good stewards of God’s creation.
- Prayer. This hardcopy prayer is a companion piece to the video, That All May Flourish.
- Video: A Reflection on Earth Day. This video (1:34) includes captivating moving imagery of nature interspersed with three timely quotes of Pope Francis from his U.S. and recent Mexico visits.
- Earth Day Reflection Card. Quoting Pope Francis, this card provides an inspiring image as well as a prayer on the backside. It is available for order from CHA. (The card is no cost and includes complimentary shipping).
What's New in Environmental Stewardship
Healing Communities and the Environment: Opportunities for Community Benefit Programs
This document, published as a discussion draft in Spring 2012, encourages and informs health care organization leaders about ways to engage their organization and communities served around improving community health through environmental improvements. While environmental factors include the physical, social and economic environment in which we live, work and raise families, this document focuses on the physical environment, including the quality of our air, water, food and facility and public energy and chemical polices.
Download a copy