Bon Secours Health System of Marriottsville, Md., and Mercy Health of Cincinnati announced Sept. 5 as Catholic Health World went to press that they had finalized their merger as a combination of two equal ministries. The new company is called Bon Secours Mercy Health.
That organization said the Sept. 1 merger creates the nation's fifth largest Catholic health system, and it now ranks among the 20 largest health systems in the U.S. Bon Secours Mercy Health has 43 hospitals and more than 1,000 care sites. It operates in Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, Ohio, South Carolina and Virginia. The system has more than 57,000 employees. A spokesperson said a decision about headquarters location would be made by the end of the year.
As announced this summer, John M. Starcher Jr. is president and chief executive of Bon Secours Mercy Health. He had been president and chief executive of Mercy Health. Also announced this summer, Rich Statuto, who was president and chief executive of Bon Secours Health System, will be an advisor for the new company on strategic growth and innovation for the company's first year, and then he plans to retire.
Reporting directly to Starcher are:
- Chief Operating Officer Brian Smith. He held the same post at Mercy Health.
- Chief Clinical Officer Dr. Wael Haidar. He was senior vice president of provider networks for Bon Secours.
- Chief Financial Officer Debbie Bloomfield, a job she held at Mercy Health.
- Chief Strategy Officer David Cannady. He held that position with Mercy Health.
- Chief Administrative Officer Mark Nantz. He was executive vice president of strategy and growth for Bon Secours.
- Chief Enterprise Risk Officer Jeff Oak. He previously was senior vice president of corporate responsibility and development for Bon Secours.
- Chief Legal Officer Michael Bezney. He had held that title at Mercy Health.
- Chief Community Health Officer Dr. Sam Ross. He was chief executive of Bon Secours Baltimore Health System and executive vice president of the Bon Secours system.
- Chief Sponsorship and Mission Officer Sr. Anne Lutz, CBS. She was executive vice president of sponsorship for Bon Secours and had oversight responsibility for Bon Secours Baltimore Health System.
Other senior leaders of the new system include:
- Chief Human Resources Officer Joe Gage. He had held the same post at Mercy Health.
- Chief Marketing Officer Sandra Mackey, a title she held at Mercy Health.
- Chief Nursing Officer Andrea Mazzoccoli. She had been corporate chief nurse executive for Bon Secours.
- Chief Sponsorship and Theology Officer Thom Morris. He was senior vice president of sponsorship and theology for Bon Secours.
- Chief Mission Officer Fr. Joseph Cardone. He was chief mission officer and senior vice president of mission and values for Mercy Health, as well as vice president of mission and value integration for Mercy Health – St. Vincent Medical Center and Mercy Health – Children's Hospital.
Bon Secours Mercy Health also has announced the members of Bon Secours Mercy Ministries, which will be the new company's public juridic person, when it is approved by the Vatican. The members will be:
- Sr. Elaine Davia, CBS, a member of Bon Secours Ministries, the PJP of Bon Secours Health System
- Sr. Pat Eck, CBS, chair of Bon Secours' PJP
- Sr. Doris Gottemoeller, RSM, chair of Partners in Catholic Health Ministries, the public juridic person of Mercy Health
- Sr. Rose Marie Jasinski, CBS, a member of Bon Secours' PJP
- Colleen Scanlon, a member of Bon Secours' PJP
- Sr. Carol Ann Smith, HM, vice chair of Mercy Health's PJP
- Sr. Mary Stanton, RSM, a member of Mercy Health's PJP
- Sr. Eck will chair the new PJP, and Sr. Gottemoeller will be its vice chair.
The system also has announced its board of directors:
- Chris Allen, Chair
- Katherine W. Vestal, Vice Chair
- Katherine A. Arbuckle
- Sr. Pat Eck, CBS, also a member of the PJP
- Stephanie L. Ferguson
- Sr. Fran Gorsuch, CBS
- Sr. Doris Gottemoeller, RSM, also a member of the PJP
- Lizanne C. Gottung
- Dr. Clarion E. Johnson
- Gerard Kells
- Peter Maddox
- Jennifer O'Brien, JD
- Raja Rajamannar
- Janet B. Reid
- Fr. Myles N. Sheehan, SJ, a physician
- Sr. Carol Anne Smith, HM, also a member of the PJP
- John M. Starcher, Jr. – ex-officio
Copyright © 2018 by the Catholic Health Association
of the United States
For reprint permission, contact Betty Crosby or call (314) 253-3490.