Covenant Health plans construction, service reconfigurations

September 15, 2015

Covenant Health of Lubbock, Texas, plans to complete a $450 million renovation project by 2022 that will replace aging facilities and upgrade technology at the five-hospital system. The project also will consolidate the adult inpatient services of two of Covenant's Lubbock campuses, so that one campus will become a stand-alone children's hospital.

At the system's main Lubbock campus, Covenant Medical Center, the renovation will demolish one tower and add a new tower that will house women's services, including labor and delivery and postpartum floors, and a neonatal intensive care unit. Most of these women's services will be relocated to the main campus from Covenant's children's hospital. Also at the main campus, Covenant will renovate the heart center and add new endoscopy, day surgery and pre-operation facilities.

After the women's services move out of the children's hospital campus, the Covenant system will renovate patient rooms, administrative and support departments and other parts of that facility, converting it to the region's only free-standing children's hospital.

Covenant also will expand and renovate its stand-alone Joe Arrington Cancer Center, adding new medical oncology and specialty clinics as well as new radiation therapy equipment. That cancer center is adjacent to the children's hospital.

At Covenant Hospital Plainview, in Plainview, Texas, the system is expanding the surgery center, emergency department and patient rooms and renovating other areas of the campus.

Covenant also is adding two new clinics and renovating a third. According to Lee Turner, Covenant Health System vice president of mission integration, the clinic system improvements are part of Covenant's newly intensified focus on population health management, a focus that "dictates that we locate facilities and services near places where people live and work."

The system's renovation project is called "Keeping the Covenant." Cash holdings and income from services provided will fund 90 percent of the construction. Covenant will launch a fundraising campaign next year to fund the remaining 10 percent of the project.

 

Copyright © 2015 by the Catholic Health Association of the United States
For reprint permission, contact Betty Crosby or call (314) 253-3477.