Dozens of ministry systems and facilities were among the recipients of green awards at the CleanMed environmental conference in Phoenix in April. The annual awards from the Practice Greenhealth environmental organization honor health care providers excelling in their efforts to reduce their environmental footprint.
The Catholic health systems and facilities honored were:
Environmental Leadership Circle
Practice Greenhealth's premier award, for setting the highest standards of environmental practice and sustainability.
- St. Francis Hospital-Downtown, Greenville, S.C.
- St. Francis Hospital-Eastside, Greenville
- Borgess Medical Center, Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Dominican Hospital, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Providence Milwaukie Hospital, Milwaukie, Ore.
- Providence Portland Medical Center, Portland, Ore.
- Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, Portland
- Sacred Heart Hospital, Eau Claire, Wis.
- Sequoia Hospital, Redwood City, Calif.
- St. Joseph's Medical Center, Stockton, Calif.
- St. Mary's Hospital Medical Center, Green Bay, Wis.
- St. Patrick Hospital and Health Sciences Center, Missoula, Mont.
System for Change Award
For systems working cohesively to set goals, track data, benchmark and share information on sustainability efforts.
- Bon Secours Health System, Marriottsville, Md.
- Catholic Healthcare West, San Francisco
- Covenant Health Systems, Tewksbury, Mass.
Partner for Change, with Distinction Award
For facilities that have eliminated mercury, reduced waste, achieved a 15 percent or better recycling rate and created sustainability programs, beyond the levels recognized in the Partner for Change award.
- Bon Secours Community Hospital, Port Jervis, N.Y.
- Bon Secours Hospital, Baltimore
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center, Portsmouth, Va.
- Bon Secours St. Mary's Hospital, Richmond, Va.
- Good Samaritan Hospital, Suffern, N.Y.
- MI Nursing-Restorative Center, Lawrence, Mass.
- Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children's Hospital, Spokane, Wash.
- Providence St. Peter Hospital, Olympia, Wash.
- Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, Conn.
- Schervier Nursing Care Center, Riverdale, N.Y.
- St. Anthony Community Hospital, Warwick, N.Y.
- St. John's Pleasant Valley Hospital, Camarillo, Calif.
- St. Joseph Manor Health Care, Brockton, Mass.
- St. Joseph Regional Health Network, Reading, Pa.
- St. Mary's Health System, Lewiston, Maine
- St. Vincent Hospital, Green Bay, Wis.
Partner for Change Award
For facilities that have established environmental programs, that have a 10 percent recycling rate and that have reduced mercy use.
- Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center, Norfolk, Va.
- Bon Secours Maria Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical Center, Mechanicsville, Va.
- Bon Secours Richmond Community Hospital, Richmond
- Bon Secours St. Francis Medical Center, Midlothian, Va.
- Chandler Regional Medical Center, Chandler, Ariz.
- Columbia St. Mary's, Milwaukee
- Community Hospital of San Bernardino, San Bernardino, Calif.
- Mary Immaculate Hospital, Newport News, Va.
- Marymount Hospital, Garfield Heights, Ohio
- Mercy General Hospital, Sacramento, Calif.
- Northridge Hospital Medical Center, Northridge, Calif.
- Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital, Ashland, Ky.
- Providence Hospital, Washington, D.C.
- Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center, Oregon City, Ore.
- Saint Francis Medical Center, Grand Island, Neb.
- St. Andre Health Care Facility, Biddeford, Maine
- St. Anthony Hospital, Gig Harbor, Wash.
- St. Bernardine Medical Center, San Bernardino
- St. Clare Hospital, Lakewood. Wash.
- St. Francis Hospital, Federal Way, Wash.
- St. John Hospital and Medical Center, Detroit
- St. Joseph Hospital, Bangor, Maine
- St. Joseph Hospital, Nashua, N.H.
- St. Joseph Medical Center, Tacoma, Wash.
- St. Mary Health Care Center, Worcester, Mass.
- St. Rose Dominican Hospitals-Rose de Lima Campus, Henderson, Nev.
- St. Rose Dominican Hospitals-San Martín Campus, Las Vegas
- St. Rose Dominican Hospitals-Siena Campus, Henderson
For facilities that have begun to improve their sustainability, have achieved progress and have a recycling rate of at least 5 percent.
- Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati
- Mercy Gilbert Medical Center, Gilbert, Ariz.
- Mercy Medical Center, Oshkosh, Wis.
- Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, Mission Hills, Calif.
- Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center Torrance, Calif.
- St. Elizabeth Community Hospital, Red Bluff, Calif.
- St. Elizabeth Hospital, Appleton, Wis.
- St. John Medical Center, Westlake, Ohio
- St. Mary's Villa, Elmhurst Township, Pa.
- Youville House Assisted Living Residence, Cambridge, Mass.
- Youville Place, Lexington, Mass.
Making Medicine Mercury-Free Award
For facilities that have virtually ended their use of mercury.
- Providence Centralia Hospital, Centralia, Wash.
- Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center, Oregon City
- St. Mary Medical Center, Long Beach, Calif.
For hospitals or systems that excel in eliminating devices containing Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate and polyvinyl chloride.
- St. John's Pleasant Valley Hospital, Camarillo
Copyright © 2011 by the Catholic Health Association
of the United States
For reprint permission, contact Betty Crosby
or call (314) 253-3477.