Catholic Priest Chaplain
Facility: CHI St. Alexius Health – Bismarck
State: Bismarck, N.D.
Website URL: CHIstalexiushealth.org
Contact Name: Janelle Frederick
Contact Title: Talent Management Coordinator
Contact Phone: (701) 530-7169
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide patient and/or family visitation and support as needed or as requested by patients, family members or staff of CHI St. Alexius Medical Center
- Participate as an integral member of the patient care teams throughout the organization to provide individualized patient care including but not limited to conducting emotional and spiritual needs assessments and creating and following-up on responses to those needs.
- Insure, along with other members of the care team, that holistic person-centered care is offered in the overall care plan of the patient and their support
- Work closely with patients, family members and staff with regard to end of life conversations and decisions as well as journeying with patient and family members when death occurs
- Provide support of the advance care planning process. Provide health care directive information and materials to persons requesting such information or assistance. Provide leadership in the provision of POLST forms for those persons choosing to complete one.
- Provide spiritual care support and care to hospital staff, employees, departments and the overall organization including providing pastoral care in time of crisis, illness and death; offering reflections at various organizational events.
- Along with spiritual care team and under direction of the department manager, serve as a spiritual guide for the hospital community including but not limited to providing resources and assistance in the development of prayers, reflections and blessings and/or presiding, where appropriate, over celebrations, rituals or blessings.
- Minister to all patients regardless of their faith traditions.
- Provide Sacraments to Catholic patients including but not limited to regular rounding to provide the Eucharist and the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick
- Provide worship services, including a regular Mass schedule.
- Complete department–specific goals. Maintain standards pertinent to specific job responsibilities.
- Work to see opportunities to integrate the CHI Mission and Values into the culture of the hospital.
- Represent the hospital to area clergy.
- Evidences appropriate documentation when engaged in ministry interventions including patient charting.
- Fulfill duties of on-call priest chaplain as normally scheduled
- Attend and participate in staff and department meetings, serve on committees as needed, work collaboratively with other members of the Spiritual Care Department
- Support performance improvements efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Masters in Divinity, Theology, Counseling, Spiritual Direction, etc… or the equivalent
Licensure: NACC/APC Certification or eligibility to be certified with four units of CPE. Ordination to the Roman Catholic Priesthood with proper ecclesiastical endorsement.
Experience: Minimum of three years in a health care setting preferred.
Interpersonal Skills: Maintains confidentiality. Must have good relational skills, adapts to crisis and unusual situations and is a team member.
Physical Effort: Mobility is necessary. Able to hear and see the verbal and non-verbal communication's of others.