Facility: Northern Light Mercy Hospital
State: Portland, Maine
Website URL: https://northernlighthealth.org/Careers/Position/72201/Pastoral%20Care%20Associate%20-%20Catholic%20Chaplain
Contact Name: Katie Kerr
Contact Phone: (207) 879-3286
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northern Light Mercy Hospital is seeking a full-time Catholic Chaplain in beautiful Portland, Maine.; Mercy is a Catholic community hospital with two acute care locations and two dozen outpatient practices & clinics. Known in the community for high-quality, personalized care delivered in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, we are looking to add to our Spiritual Care team.
The position visits & greets patients to establish dialogue, assess needs, provide spiritual care & guidance to patients. Assists and counsels dying patients and their families, assists and educates other hospital personnel and community clergy with regard to providing culturally-relevant spiritual care to patients of all or no faith backgrounds. This position is primarily focused on inpatient environment with some opportunity working in outpatient setting available, including oncology, primary care & pain management.
- Certification as a chaplain with the National Association of Catholic Chaplains is required within two years of hire.
- A master's degree in Theology, Divinity, or related field or the equivalent is required.
- Minimum of two units of Clinical Pastoral Education required at time of hire.
- A minimum of three years of hospital, parish, missionary or other pastoral work is required.
- Experience working with and counseling acutely ill patients & families is desired. Acute care hospital experience strongly preferred.
- Must have ability to relate well with other denominational clergy and have an appreciation of differing religious beliefs, values & practices.
- Must use judgment and initiative to operate independently and autonomously in dealing with patients, families & staff in highly stressful situations.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills as the incumbent deals with all levels of patients, families & employees.
Copyright © 2020 by the Catholic Health Association
of the United States
For reprint permission, contact Betty Crosby or call (314) 253-3490.