School Sisters of Notre Dame
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Associate Director of Ministry Services
REPORTS TO: Director, Ministry Services
ORGANIZATION: School Sisters of Notre Dame, Atlantic-Midwest Province, Inc.
LOCATION: Baltimore, MD or Wilton, CT with travel throughout the Province
JOB TYPE: Full-time, Salaried/Exempt
The School Sisters of Notre Dame (SSND) are members of an international congregation of women religious which was founded in Bavaria in 1833. The first sisters arrived in North America in 1847. SSNDs now live and minister on five continents and have their Generalate in Rome, Italy. Their mission is to proclaim the good news, directing their entire lives toward that oneness for which Jesus Christ was sent. SSND expresses its mission through ministry directed toward education. For them, education means enabling persons to reach the fullness of their potential…they educate with the conviction that the world can be changed through the transformation of persons (SSND Constitution).
The Atlantic-Midwest Province of SSND is one of the ten units in the congregation. Its nearly 500 sisters minister in a wide variety of ways, serving the mission through full time or part time work, volunteer service in and through prayer and presence in Canada, England, Italy, South Sudan and the United States. Over 140 associates committed to the SSND mission across the Province engage and integrate the SSND mission in their own lives and communities. The Province sponsors or co-sponsors schools, three college preparatory high schools for young women, five learning and career centers, two temporary homes for women in recovery, and a university.
Province staff support the communications, educational programs, and global networks and commitments in order to support the life of the sisters and sustain and advance the mission among its sponsored institutions, benefactors, and associates. The Province has administrative and health care centers located in Baltimore, MD, Chicago IL, Waterdown, Ontario, and Wilton. CT.
The Ministry Services department supports the Atlantic-Midwest Province and its sponsored and co-sponsored ministries in ensuring that ministry reflects the values and commitments of SSND; maintains Catholic identity; aspires to high standards in service, administration, and management; and creates pathways for sustainability in the future.
The associate director supports the director of Ministry Services in the overall function of the department, especially in the formation for new lay leaders (CEO's and selected other categories of sponsored ministries, province staff, administrators of Continuum of Care Centers) and the orientation of new employees in the province to the SSND mission and ministry as expressed in the SSND heritage, charism, values, educational vision and justice work.
- Contributes to the evolving design and evolution of the ministry formation process and the new employee orientation;
- Oversees the implementation of the new employee orientation and the ministry formation components (i.e. sessions, retreats, mentoring, site visits);
- Oversees and arranges for the logistics (venue, speakers, agendas) and set-up, evaluation of the various ministry formation components and the new employee orientation;
- Assists with individual in-service options for province staff members;
- Provides and supports the development of resources for prayer, formation and orientation, department newsletter, and emerging resources needs;
- Supports the director in the growing collaboration with the Mission & Ministry team, consisting of four additional departments (JPIC, Development, Communications and the Associates); develops a collaborative working relationship with the department's coordinator for board development;
- Provides support in exploring formation experiences for potential additional constituents and new formation components in support of the existing ministry formation process;
- Contributes in all ways to the scope and relationships of the department and the mission of SSND.
- Master's Degree in theology, pastoral ministry or equivalent experience;
- 3-5 years of experience working in ministry formation, mission integration, and/or pastoral ministry
- Mission orientation and passion for education in the broadest sense;
- Appreciation and respect for Catholic tradition and identity;
- Appreciation for women religious and respect for their contributions to church and society;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in contemporary Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation issues;
- Ability to design prayer and theological reflection experiences;
- Demonstrated project management/coordination/organization/collaboration skills;
- Ability to relate to a wide spectrum of people and represent SSND well;
- Ability to travel;
- Proficiency in MS Office.
Preferred: Experience of working in a ministry sponsored by a religious congregation;
Experience in working in the context of religious life.
The position will remain open until an appropriate candidate has been identified.
For more information visit the Atlantic-Midwest Province website of the School Sisters of Notre Dame www.amssnd.org. Applications should be sent to Liz Klein, HR Director for the Atlantic-Midwest Province.