Mercy Medical Center (MMC), part of Mercy Health Services, Inc. is a Magnet designated, Catholic, teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Maryland School of Medicine. In 2010, Mercy’s campus expanded with the addition of a new $400M 20 story replacement hospital, the Mary Catherine Bunting Center, which features new state of the art ORs and private inpatient rooms. In addition, MMC, Mercy Health Services is comprised of Stella Maris, Central Maryland’s largest long-term, geriatric care facility as well as an extensive network of Community Centers and Physician Sites. Founded in 1874 by The Sisters of Mercy, the deep legacy of caring and compassion continues today at MMC; rooted in an “abiding respect for patients who entrust their care” to the Mercy team.
MMC’s Centers of Excellence include The Institute for Cancer, The Melissa L. Posner Institute for Digestive Health and Liver Disease, The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital at Mercy Medical Center and The Weinberg Center for Women’s Health & Medicine.
MMC has received multiple awards and recognitions:
- Ranked as a “Best Hospital” by U.S. News & World Report for 2018-19.
- Named among the “100 Great Hospitals in America” by Becker’s’ Hospital Review.
- Mercy’s nursing program received Magnet Designation in 2011 and in 2016.
- The Catherine Mary Bunting Center, the 20-story 299-bed hospital facility featuring state of the art surgical and interventional suites and private patient rooms, received theAmerican Institute of Architect’s Presidential Citation for Urban Design.
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses Gold Beacon Award of Excellence, an award which demonstrate excellence in sustained unit performance and patients’ outcomes.
- Best Hospital in Maryland for Nurses - named the #1 Best Hospital in Maryland for Nurses by Nurse.org, a nursing career website. The organization analyzed surveys from nurses in hospitals across Maryland to determine the results.
- 30 Most Nurse-Friendly Hospitals - recognized as one of the Top Nurse-Friendly Hospitals in the nation by TopRNtoBSN.com, citing Nursing Excellence awards, an atmosphere of teamwork and mentoring and an attractive benefits package.
Mercy is seeking a contemporary, creative and innovative nursing leader to serve as the Vice President/Chief Nursing Officer (VP/CNO). The VP/CNO will serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team at MMC and report directly to Susan Finlayson, DNP, RN, Senior Vice President & Chief Operating Officer. Susan joined Mercy in 2002 as Chief Nursing Officer and was promoted to her current role in 2012. Susan has extensive healthcare experience as a nurse, a leader and a healthcare consultant. She is a recognized expert in strategic planning, program development and in balancing financial imperatives with patient experience and quality outcomes. The VP/CNO will work collaboratively with the physician leaders including Dr. David Maine, EVP, Physician Enterprise and Dr. Wilma Rowe, CMO & SVO of Medical Affairs.
The VP/CNO is the leader of the clinical discipline of nursing with administrative, fiscal, and personnel accountability in the designated clinical area. The VP/CNO is responsible for creating and maintaining a therapeutic, caring, patient- and family- centered care environment.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees, one of which must be in Nursing. DNP preferred. Eligible for RN licensure in MD.
- A minimum of ten years of nursing experience, with five to seven years of progressive leadership experience.
- Experience working in a Magnet organization preferred. The ability to engage & lead effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Contemporary knowledge of professional nursing practice and the ability to advance evidence-based practice.
For more information about this exceptional opportunity, please contact:
Livonne Engebrecht, BA, Search Associate firstname.lastname@example.org
Peggy Loughery, MSN, RN, Vice President Search Services, email@example.com (610-709-6434)
Jane Fitzsimmons, MSN, RN, Executive Vice President Search Services, firstname.lastname@example.org (617-514-0050)