LOCATION: Any Service Office (San Francisco, Sacramento, Glendale and Denver CO)
The Manager, Community Benefit Reporting is responsible for ensuring implementation of community benefit reporting policies, systems and standards across a national, 140-hospital not-for-profit health system. The position is focused on creating and delivering training and education, consultation/technical assistance and tools to help hospitals and the health system achieve process improvements for efficiency, accuracy, compliance and strategic value.
Working with the Leader of Community Health and Benefit and the Analyst, Community Benefit Reporting, the Manager is a subject matter expert who supports hospital staff in community health, finance and accounting, and other departments in identifying and reporting community benefit programs and expenses. The position works closely with health system staff to design and refine reporting procedures and tools, and it addresses questions about reportable community benefit activities.
The Manager participates in community benefit compliance assurance and demonstration of value aligned with mission, including for community benefit reports to federal and state government agencies, community health needs assessments and implementation strategies, and related communications internally and to community stakeholders.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains current and detailed knowledge of regulatory requirements (e.g., IRS Form 990 Schedule H, IRC Sec. 501(r)), national guidelines (e.g., Catholic Health Association and others), organizational policies and CommonSpirit Health's practices and resources for community benefit reporting.
- Leads the design and creation of instructional materials and tools to equip staff and executives with the knowledge to implement accurate and compliant reporting at the local level.
- Delivers training, consultation and technical assistance to enable and ensure the implementation of community benefit reporting regulations, guidelines, policies and practices.
- Works closely with finance and accounting staff to manage community benefit expense reporting.
- Reviews community benefit reporting practices to ensure compliance with federal and state requirements, including for community health needs assessments, implementation strategies and community benefit reports.
- With the Leader of Community Health and Benefit addresses questions about reportable community benefit, and builds and maintains a community benefit knowledge management system accessible to health system and hospital staff.
- Participates in the design and development of community health and community benefit reports that make strategic use of community benefit data.
- B.A. degree in health or social sciences, finance or accounting, business administration, public policy or a related field
- Four years working in a not-for-profit hospital or health care system, with some responsibility for community benefit, community health, and/or finance and accounting functions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilites:
- Strong, detailed knowledge of hospital community benefit definitions and regulatory requirements
- Experience collecting, analyzing or interpreting hospital community benefit expense and program narrative information
- Experience with or knowledge of community health or public health principles and programs
- Demonstrated experience creating and delivering clear and practical informational presentations and tools
- Working knowledge of finance and accounting principles
- Intermediate skill using Microsoft Office applications, including Excel
- Strong spoken and written communication skills with people in multiple roles within complex organizations
- Skilled communicator for delivering information and coaching effectively, in-person and remotely
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree in health, business or public administration; public health; public policy; or related field
- Experience working in the system office of a multi-hospital heath care system
- Process improvement and/or business operations experience implementing policies and procedures in varied organizational settings
- Experience in instructional design, adult learning and/or knowledge management in a business setting